Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Skull


            Although we will not have to do self-portraits for class this semester as there was not time.  But we still get to work on the skull.  For the skull Amy gave us a short lecture on some of the important features that we should include within the skull, after which we then got straight to work on drawing the skull.  I set up in the corner with my own kind of beat up skull (there was no bottom jaw on the particular skull I drew).  
            When drawing the skull we had to do three-quarters view and either a side view or a frontal view.  I am including both a three-quarters view that I drew and a side view.  I also started to draw a front view, but this proved to be extremely difficult for me and I gave up pretty fast and decided to call it a day. 
            When drawing these Amy came over to during help me, and she worked a little bit with really establishing the different plains that can be seen from the particular view I was working on.  This made a lot of sense and I tried to continue with what she had showed me and do the same thing on the next drawing.  The features that interest me the most in the skull are the nose and eyes.  I think the reason that I’m drawn to these features is because of the holes that are present.  This is something that interests me because they are not really present when in a model, or at least not to the extent they can be seen within the skull. 
            Overall, I found drawing the skulls to be very enjoyable.  One thing that I must remember is not to make the skull “round” but to try to add some corners to depict the different changes in the overall shape of the skull.  I hope you enjoy my drawings!



1 comment:

  1. A yes the skull, I'm not sure why but everytime I see a skull my mind reverts back to a high school English teacher that would stand in front of class and hold a skull while reciting Shakespeare's Hamlet (her's was missing the bottom jaw also) but great job on showing the planes of the head. I also need to work on not drawing my figures as "roundheads"

    ReplyDelete