Sunday, December 19, 2010

Shell Drawing #3 (INK!)

            Well I have completed my first shell that I included ink on.  This proved to be very challenging for me.   As you can see from the image, there is a not of things that I can improve upon.  I’m glad that this is only the third shell so I still have a chance to work more with ink and show great improvement (hopefully) with the next shell drawing. 
            For this shell drawing I first drew the shell in charcoal before going back in and putting ink on it was well.  There are some improvements that could be done in the drawing.  Although my shell was placed on the page nicely with a good diagonal and good size it did not recede back into space very well, this is something that I struggled with in my first drawing but did much better in the my second drawing.  I feel that I have taken a step back in this area. 
            This was my first time working with ink.  Although there are some strong points in the way I applied my ink there are also some definite areas for improvement.  As far as my application with the ink I got my paper very wet and tried to let the ink do the work by allowing it to spread and drip on the page.  Next time though I need to make sure to leave some areas with the white of the paper to allow for highlights.  I also need to try mixing my red and black ink together to get different shades.  This should help unify my shell and help so that there are not two separate areas on my shell, which I believe is kind of confusing visually. 
            I have started my next shell drawing.  In fact, I have the drawing part done and just have to apply ink now.  I feel that I did a much better job making sure the shell recedes in space, now I just need to improve with me ink application.  Hopefully I can make the ink work for me!



1 comment:

  1. There was a lot to learn with ink. I get frustrated that I can't control it easier. Did you feel that your second drawing went any easier. I definitely saw an improvement in mine.

    ReplyDelete