Monday, November 29, 2010

Field Trip


On Tuesday (11/23) the Figure Drawing One class went to the cities to tour the Walker Art Museum and The Bell Museum of Natural History.  The day started off kind off bad as our bus was supposed leave at 9:30am but didn't show up and there for we didn't end up leaving until 11:00am.   Because of this our time in the Walker was cut short, luckily I had just been to the walker a few weeks ago so I had a chance to go back through and see a few things that I had missed the first time around. 

One thing at the Walker that I really enjoyed was Yves Klein's work.  Particularly the works the involved the blow torch.  There was a video of the process in which these pieces were made and after watching this art making process I had a greater appreciation for these works.  It became more about the process and the position of the bodies against the paper then about the actual outcome of the piece. 


At the Bell Museum of Natural History I quickly walked around and was drawn to the birds.  I found these animals fascinating and thought they could be fun to draw.  So I found  a spot on the floor in the hallway and began to draw.  This is what I spent the majority of my time at the Bell Museum doing, as you can see from the two photographs I
have of the drawing I completed.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting take on the contour line drawings. I enjoy the gesture of your birds, they seem fairly life like. The falcon seems as if you spent a good deal of time, and your post is is quite thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the challenge you took on taking something with form on (I ran away and drew some bones). The falcon looks great, especially the detail you put into the beak/head of it. great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bird drawings, they both seem carefully studied and drawn even though there was so little time. If this is the detail of these quicker drawings, your shell is sure to be phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on your birds. The only thing that might help is variation in line weight, which is something a really struggle with. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the owl drawing, if only for the line variation. I won't lie, though, it does seem a little fake. Try not to focus so much on covering the subject with a grid in your future endeavors. There are plenty more ways to express form that you can add.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved looking at Klines work as well!! If you look at my blog I talk about how much I absolutely adored seeing those blowtorch pieces as well! Alisha did too. They were absolutely epic weren't they? I like the sense of space portrayed in your bird. You really captured it well and gave it life while sticking to business and keeping it a study! Good job!

    ReplyDelete